The provincial mixed doubles championship format will officially change next season.
Since the first edition of the event in 2013, we have always used an open registration process. Over time, the interest has grown for the discipline and participation has increased steadily. In order to ensure that the length of the championship remains adequate and manageable, Curling Quebec has decided to limit the number of participating teams starting next season (2023-2024).
Here is an overview of the format:
- Twenty (20) teams will participate in the event. Here is how they will qualify:
- The top six (6) teams in the Canadian mixed doubles rankings (CMDR) will earn a spot.
- Twelve (12) teams will earn regional spots (one spot per region, except Montreal that gets three spots)
- Two (2) teams from the host club
*If a spot is not claimed, either by a region or by the host club, that spot will be redistributed to the next best teams on the Canadian mixed doubles rankings (CMDR)
**The host club spots will be determined before the regionals. A team that does not qualify for the host club spot can participate in the regionals.
- The twenty (20) teams will be split into four (4) pools of five (5) and each pool will play a round-robin for the preliminary round.
- Twelve (12) teams will qualify for the playoffs:
- The first team from each pool will qualify directly for the quarter finals (an overall ranking of those four teams will be used to determine which team qualifies as Q1 to Q4)
- Of the remaining sixteen (16) teams, the eight (8) best teams overall will qualify for the round of 12 (an overall ranking of those eight teams will be used to determine which team qualifies as Q5 to Q12)
Here are the preliminary registration and qualification deadlines for the 2024 provincial mixed doubles provincial championship:
- Registration deadline (for teams that wish to obtain one of the host club spots: November 1st 2023
- Deadline to declare the 2 host club teams: November 26th 2023
- Registration deadline (for all teams): December 1st 2023
- Deadline to accumulate points on the Canadian mixed doubles rankings (CMDR): December 3rd 2023
- Regional qualification deadline: January 14th 2024
- Provincial championship: February 1st-4th 2024